The Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 is the long-awaited second coming of Microsoft’s premium control accessory. Revealed at the Microsoft E3 2019 stage (opens in new tab) with a video that would make any hardware junkie go into joyful convulsions, it looks like it has pretty much everything people have been asking for since the original Xbox Elite Controller came out: more customization options, fully wrapped rubberized grips, and – yes – native Bluetooth support, to name a few.
In fact, the sizzle trailer listed so many upgrades that I’d better just list them all out here:
- Adjustable-tension thumbsticks
- New trigger grip and bumpers
- Even shorter fire ranges for the hair trigger lock option
- More thumbsticks and paddles
- Three built-in custom profiles (complete with their own light-up LEDs)
- An internal, rechargeable battery that gives up to 40 hours per charge
- A detachable charging dock built into the case
The Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 is available for pre-orders right now (opens in new tab) at a steep price of $179. That’s $30 more than the first iteration of Elite Controllers, but it does look like you’re getting en even better product for the bigger buy. Can you put a price on getting to tweak your own thumbsticks’ springiness with a little dedicated tool, and keeping your controller charged up right inside its own swanky carrying case? I mean, yes, of course you can put a price on all of those things, but it probably is at least $179.99.
Stay tuned to all of our E3 2019 (opens in new tab) coverage for more developments as they happen from the show, or watch our latest Release Radar video to see more of what’s on the way in games and entertainment this week.